Each year Mom takes a group of Beta Club students and parents on a weekend trip. In the past they have traveled to St. Louis, Atlanta, and Gatlinburg; she cycles her locations so that students who go on the trip with her will see something new each year that they're in middle school. Being the thoughtful person that she is, Mom usually takes me and my brother along with her. This year, however, she took me, my brother Jed, his wife Angel and their 6 month-old daughter Ella. So Friday morning, around 5 o'clock, we piled up in a car (the bus was already full) and headed for Gatlinburg!
We started off with a wonderful breakfast at Cracker Barrel in Clarksville; it was nice not having to follow the same schedule as the bus. We got to take more potty breaks, which comes in handy when you have to change diapers and fix bottles. Once we reached the mountains, we headed for Ripley's Aquarium. Ella loved the schools of fish and the jellyfish!
Afterwards, we went to the hotel to check in and freshen up before the dinner show at Wonder Works. The Hoot N' Holler Show was too funny! One of our chaperones was pulled up on stage to participate and Scraps, one of the comedians, made me laugh so hard that I cried. Again, Ella was entertained; she followed the movement of the dancers and their colorful costumes.
Once the show was over, we all headed to the museum. It included rides, science experiments, works of art, games, and lots of other things that I'm sure I overlooked. The building doesn't look large enough from the outside to hold all of the attractions. I challenged Randy, a student-teacher, to the relaxation competition and heard Angel scream as she flew in circles overhead. Ella managed to sleep through most of this, but I have no idea how.
It had been a long day and we were all ready for bed, or at least the adults were. The kids rushed off to swim or to play games in the arcade. Either way, lights went out at 11 and all of the kiddos were put to bed.
The next morning, after breakfast at the hotel, those of us riding in the car stuck around Gatlinburg a little while longer while everyone on the bus headed for Dollywood. We would be meeting them there a little later in the day. We checked out Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum and some shops on the strip (I purchased a UK cake pan at one of the cooking stores and now I won't be able to use it until next year).
While at Dollywood we saw a few outdoor shows; it was the first official day for the park to be open and it was also The Festival of Nations, so the place was packed full! We also saw a parade, including Dolly herself! I picked up a few souvenirs, we ate lunch, and it was time to head home. I'm not much for rides when I have to wait in line forever, besides Mom doesn't do rides; she gets sick easily.
On the way out of Pigeon Forge I convinced Jed to stop at the Coach Outlet; I had a coupon and wanted to pick up some gifts. But we had to make it to Knoxville in time to watch the second half of the Kentucky game. It was packed at Buffalo Wild Wings but few people were there for the game; they were more interested in the UFC fight about to take place. Needless to say, if you are a Kentucky fan, that I was disappointed with the way the evening ended.

All in all, it was a great trip and we all had a wonderful time. I'm sure Jason and Jed are excited about the Cats' recent loss (Jason is a Louisville fan and Jed cheers for Duke - how wrong!). Ella was the perfect baby and I'm so glad I got to share her first vacation with her and her parents. It's an experience that I will not soon forget.
