When I lived at home, my mom and I couldn't get anything to survive the summer - not even the plastic ferns on the back porch. We started the summer out with real ferns, but they soon wilted. We found some plastic ferns that looked real and decided those would be perfect. Some days later we noticed that they were getting smaller and smaller; we couldn't figure out what was happening to them. It wasn't until a few weeks had passed that we found a bird's nest near the porch. It had been constructed out of twigs, grass, and parts of a plastic fern.
Since getting a home of my own, I've decided to give plants another chance. Jason and I have a couple of spider plants hanging from the carport, shrubs in the front and back yard, tulips along the walk-way, and potted and hanging baskets scattered throughout the yard, garage, house and patio. Jason even made the comment, after having had a few days off, that he had to go back to work just to pay for all of the plants we had bought this spring. He's right; it's a lot of money and work, but it makes our house look more like a home!
